Adventures in Bread-Making and More
While I've been at home looking for a job and taking care of things on the home-front, I've also been trying to improve my homemaking skills. I've been learning to cook, clean and bake. Last Friday afternoon I decided to make my first loaf of homemade bread. (Thanks, Mary Ella, for the encouragement and tips.)
I made the Basic White Bread recipe from the Joy of Cooking. I also consulted the directions that came with my KitchenAid mixer.
I think my first loaf of bread turned out really well and it wasn't has difficult as I thought it would be. Though I was a little nervous when it had barely risen in the amount of time the directions indicated that it should have doubled in size. I just let it sit a little longer and it eventually got there.
Here is what the inside looked like. (I say looked like because it is almost gone already!)
Does anyone have any tips for improving my bread-making skills? What other new things should I try while I'm at home? I would like to try making bagels and work on my sewing abilities.
In other news...
We had a great time in Maine and it was a relaxing vacation. We spent a lot of time just hanging out and enjoying the weather there. It was a nice break from the heat of Charlotte. Check out our pictures on flickr.
This week we close on our townhome and start moving in and making it our home! Our brand new sofa is also being delivered and I think we are going to buy a dining room table! We'll keep you posted. Look for new pictures coming soon.
I made the Basic White Bread recipe from the Joy of Cooking. I also consulted the directions that came with my KitchenAid mixer.
I think my first loaf of bread turned out really well and it wasn't has difficult as I thought it would be. Though I was a little nervous when it had barely risen in the amount of time the directions indicated that it should have doubled in size. I just let it sit a little longer and it eventually got there.
Here is what the inside looked like. (I say looked like because it is almost gone already!)
Does anyone have any tips for improving my bread-making skills? What other new things should I try while I'm at home? I would like to try making bagels and work on my sewing abilities.In other news...
We had a great time in Maine and it was a relaxing vacation. We spent a lot of time just hanging out and enjoying the weather there. It was a nice break from the heat of Charlotte. Check out our pictures on flickr.
This week we close on our townhome and start moving in and making it our home! Our brand new sofa is also being delivered and I think we are going to buy a dining room table! We'll keep you posted. Look for new pictures coming soon.

3 Comments:
I think you need to polish up on your numchuk skills...
Glad to hear of all the fun that is being had down in North Carolina...wiss you guys up here!
Thanks, Jerry! I'll keep that in mind. You should come visit us.
Hi Rose,
Here is the French bread recipe I mentioned at the reunion.
Rick
1 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1 tbsp soft shortening - I use melted butter
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1. Combine water and salt. Stir in yeast until dissolved. Add shortening.
2. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Keep adding until stiff.
3. When dough starts to leave the side of the bowl, turn on to a lightly floured board. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, and does not stick to board.
4. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to bring greased side up. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (80-85) until doubled in bulk, about 1/1/2 to 2 hours.
5. Punch dough down and turn it over. Cover and rise until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Roll the dough into an oblong, 15 by 10 inches. Starting on the long side, roll up tightly. Pinch the edges together to seal. With a hand on each end, roll gently back and forth to lengthen the loaf and taper the ends.
7. Place the loaf diagonally on a baking pan that has been lightly greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make 1/2 inch slashes every 2 inches. Brush the top with cold water and let rise uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Brush again with cold water.
8. Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 10 minutes. Brush again with cold water, turn down oven to 375 and bake 10 more minutes. Brush again with cold water, optionally sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, and bake 15 to 20 minutes more.
Note: For more glaze and less crustiness, in place of plain cold water, use one egg white slightly beaten with 1 tbsp of water.
Post a Comment
<< Home